decorations and adornments

From: Andriy Shapochka (ashapochk..otmail.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 14:22:00 EDT

There is a list of images we will need for our Modeler GUI tool. It is
definitely far from complete yet useful to estimate amount of work. Most of
images are supposed to be 16*16 gif files. Also, sometimes we will be able
to use the same images for different actions (like Properties). And, I am
sure, there are redundant ones. Anyway, we have to think design over from
this point of view unless we are going to end with really ugly GUI.

Common images
===============================
1)Logo for Help->About (jpeg, size - 64*64 or so)
2)Main frame icon (gif, 16*16)
3)Icons for several OSes (.ico for Win, .png for Linux, etc)

Menu/Button images (gif, 16*16)
===============================
4)New,Open,Save,Save As,Close,Rename,Delete,Check,Properties model
5)New,Delete,Properties ObjEntity
6)New,Delete,Properties ObjAttribute
7)New,Delete,Properties ObjRelationship
8)New,Delete,Properties DbEntity
9)New,Delete,Properties DbAttribute
10)New,Delete,Properties DbRelationship
11)New,Delete,Execute,Compile into SQL,Properties Query
12)Configure database connection information
13)Connect,Disconnect to database
14)Refresh database metadata
15)New,Delete,Properties DataNode
16)New,Delete,Properties DataDomain
17)Create Java class by entity
18)Create table definition by entity
19)Help: About, Contents, etc.

Adornments (gif, 16*16)
20)Model, ObjEntity, ObjAttribute, ObjRelationship, DbEntity, DbAttribute,
DbRelationship, Various kindes of database metadata, query images for our
treelike browsers.
21)Images for tabs corresponding to different browsers (Obj, Db, Metadata)

22) so on, so forth. For example it would be desirable to replace the icons
in wellknown Error,Warning,... dialogs with custommade ours.

At early stages of Modeler prototyping we can use substitutes or defaults
instead, but to my best knowledge the sooner we get more or less appropriate
set of images the more comfortable we feel with GUI development (ideally one
should have image,... resources before the implementation stage of work).
Next, as I believe development without seeing preliminary user-friendly
results tends to get boring sometimes, I suggest (to myself, first of all)
to begin with the simplest treelike DataModel browser. Firstly it is going
to be rather ugly creature (imagine buttons with text instead of decently
drawn images and trees with sheets of white paper as leaves). But we will
have something to experience and utilize as a test tool.

Andriy.