Re: passwords in config files

From: Andrei Adamchik (aadamchi..obox.com)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 21:03:12 EDT

I knew this will come up. Really, I have no objections to XML format.

It is just that the format I suggested is much simpler to work with: want
to add a new datanode - just append to the end of the file.... This is the
format of every other tool out there.

After saying that, I want to say that I agree with the argument below. I
guess I am gonna stick with XML... Always go with the crowd, and you never
loose. (Also java does not have built-in regular expression tools , but
does have a lot of XML stuff, so maybe inserting a line into a file is not
such an easy task after all... )

Ok, then we are going to have a ".cayenne.xml" file in a home directory....

At 08:35 PM 5/15/2001 -0400, Andriy Shapochka wrote:
>Maybe, we could use XML for these config files. My reason is that even
>though the format is going to look very simple right now, yet I know if
>config files appear in a system they subject to grow bigger, more
>sofisticated and multipurposal in a while. To prevent such consequences of
>this process as disorder, unnatural or difficult to parse formats, and
>finally format changes we can stick to a more or less acceptable
>configuration format like XML at once. It will cost us a bit more efforts at
>the beginning but then we are going to face unclouded configurational
>future.
>
>Andriy.

Andrei