Re: Small portable database

From: Andrei Adamchik (aadamchi..obox.com)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 00:46:59 EST

    Finally, I gave up on and idea to bundle cayenne distro with a database.

    Instead I created a GUI login panel for tests (with optional command line
    replacement) that would ask to enter driver, database URL, user name and
    password before running any tests. Now after compiling cayenne with Ant,
    tests can be run by executing "runtests.(bat|sh)" that is located in the
    <cayenne>/bin directory.

    Works very well so far.

    Overall, the changes I made so far were done to simplify cayenne usage. I
    think the code was overdesigned in the beginning. Excessive complexity was
    pointed out by Andriy before. I agree with it now that I started to write
    unit tests to cover most of the cases. So I removed some levels of
    abstraction from ConfigManager->DataDomain->DataNode chain. They are no
    longer interfaces, but rather concrete classes. Also JNDI features and some
    preliminary EJB features were sacrificed to streamline the development. I
    think I will be able to add it later without any pain.

    At 01:06 PM 12/18/2001 -0500, Andriy Shapochka wrote:
    >Andrei, you can take a look at this link (free Java DB, JDBC 2 compliance):
    >http://www.mckoi.com/database/
    >
    >Also, PostgreSQL is compliant with JDBC (dunno, which version). I tried it
    >under Red Hat in Ukraine. It worked quite satisfactorily.
    >
    >Andriy.

    Andrei