Object state changes

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 19:55:54 EST

    - When data object attribute value is modified, object's state changes:
    COMMITTED -> MODIFIED
    - When data object "to one" relationship is modified, object state
    changes: COMMITTED -> MODIFIED

    Question:
    When data object "to many" relationship changes, on commit nothing would
    change in the database for this object (since "to many" relationship is
    FROM PRIMARY KEY). Any ideas for/against changing the object state to
    MODIFIED in this case?

    My argument AGAINST (this is the way I have it in Cayenne right now):
    when building cascading update statements on commit in DataContext we
    save some CPU cycles since we do not need to merge snapshots of objects
    that will not result in SQL update anyways

    Any comments?

    --
    - Andrei (a.k.a. Andrus) Adamchik