Re: DataMap validation rules

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 17:55:53 EST

    At 06:01 PM 2/6/2002 -0500, Andriy Shapochka wrote:
    >5,6) are just fine but I believe point 4) is not necessary as this kind of
    >rule is never enforced in databases. Surely it is good and convenient
    >practice to define primary keys yet nothing more than that. Or do you think
    >the main parts of Cayenne will malfunction in the case a table does not have
    >a primary key?

    Yes, namely ObjectId creation. So even if PK is not defined in the database
    we should give a warning if it is not defined in ObjEntity.

    >Aside from that views or results of stored procedures,
    >generally speaking, do not have primary keys :). What's your opinion?

    As of now we do not have store proc. support, we will need to work on this.
    Looks like we will need some kind of read-only objects with no
    relationships that will be used in cases where PK makes absolutely no
    sense. (Well actually current "snapshots" are such objects).

    Andrus