Fwd: Fw: Cayenne Porject

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Sep 15 2002 - 14:03:13 EDT

    Hi Brad,

    First, I suggest that you post Cayenne messages to cayenne-user mailing
    list, instead of sending them to individual developers.

    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists.html

    Anyway, thanks for your interest in Cayenne. I've been doing Objective C
    for a while so we should have something in common :-).

    1. O/R and EJB.

    EJB != O/R
    EJB != persistence

    My advise is, don't use EJB if you don't have to use it (like your boss
    already made this decision or something) !!!

    BTW, there was a cool online EJB presentation done by a Smalltalker. I just
    can't find the link now. Anyone on the list remembers that? Holger?

    2. EJB and Cayenne

    Due to the lack of interest in our development team, Cayenne & EJB
    integration is not straightforward as of now. As you may see from the older
    message archives we were looking in this direction a bit in the past, but
    the actual implementation haven't started yet. As for the new EJB features
    that are "kind of O/R", I think this is a waste of time and an admission by
    Sun that EJB is useless for the database access. In particular this is an
    attempt to rescue failed Entity Beans concept, that are not used even by
    hardcore EJB programmers (at least those that I know).

    On the other hand, using Cayenne without EJB will give you a framework
    conceptually similar to EOF/TopLink.

    Andrus