Re: usage of event notification in release 6alpha

From: Dirk Olmes (dirk.olme..mx.de)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 14:38:59 EST

    > How can the ObjectStore get notification that the database has changed
    > beneath it?

    This is a very good question.

    > This was one MAJOR problem with WebObjects' EOFramework: Any
    > change made to the database outside of EOF was never recognized by the
    > object graph.

    Always ask yourself: "how would I do it in JDBC?"
    I'd say the simple answer is: you can't. This is a general problem of
    caching: you'll have to know when the cache invalidates and react
    accordingly.

    Distributed notifications may help when running multiple versions of an
    app (read: distributed cache management) but won't solve the problem
    that someone can still grab a commandline SQL client and change the
    database underneath your app.

    -dirk