high-volume offline processing using cayenne?

From: Arndt Nrenschede (Arndt.Brensched..eb.de)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 04:55:01 EST

    Hi,

    I just had a deeper look at cayenne trying
    to find out whether we could use it for
    our project (a large back-office system).

    I got through the examples quickly and it
    was really nice to see that everything worked
    as expected (alpha-6).

    So, for the interactive part of our system
    I'm sure cayenne would do the job.

    For the offline processing, however, we
    have high volumes (millions) and tight
    performance constraints, so
    we cannot deviate much from plain jdbc's
    performance.

    The features needed for that would be
    (and I think they are not implemented,
    or at least I didn't find them):

    - support for JDBC-batch updates during
      "commitChanges"

    - re-use of Prepared-Statements

    - more detailed control of what happens
      to the identy-map (Object-Store) in
      "commitChanges"
      The behaviour we need is to fully
      release the volume data (e.g. accounts),
      thus allowing them to be garbage-collected,
      while keeping the master-data
      (e.g. fund-properties) linked to the
      identy-map.
      (would require something like nested
       DataContext's - or TopLinks "unitOfWork")

    Could some of the gurus tell me if you
    have plans in that direction, or if
    I just missed something?

    thanx in advance,

    Arndt

    PS: I also evaluated toplink, but that failed
    because they support batch-writing, but messed
    it up, and also because their concept of
    data-comparisons (to find out what changed)
    when commiting a unitOfWork turned out to
    be a cpu-time grave :-(