Re: logger and access

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 14:16:07 EDT

    Jason,

    > We are attempting to deploy a webapp using Cayenne to an environment on
    > a shared server therefore we do not have access to most of the
    > filesystem including the Tomcat files. When deploying I am getting the
    > following error because (at least it looks like) Cayenne is attempting
    > to read a file from the tomcat directory. Of course the process does not
    > have permission. Is this a fair assesment?

    Yes, Cayenne tries to read logging configuration file from the default
    location using the home directory (as preceived by JVM) as a base.

    I will create a bug for it. Ideally Cayenne should just quietly configure
    its logging using Log4J defaults when no access to default location is
    possible.

    > Is there a work around here?

    Yes. Before anything Cayenne is called in your webapp, invoke

     // this line should work, since cayenne-log.properties
     // is distributed in cayenne.jar, if it doesn't work you
     // can use a URL of a specially created config file distributed
     // with the webapplication
     URL url =
    this.getCLass().getClassLoader().getResource(".cayenne/cayenne-log.properties");
     Configuration.configCommonLogging(url);

    Andrus