Re: [semi-OT]: 3-layer app with cayenne?

From: Tore Halset (halse..vv.ntnu.no)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 18:05:17 EDT

On onsdag, aug 27, 2003, at 17:35 Europe/Oslo, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> For a fast custom solution my choice would be a web service approach
> with Axis or something. Though this may result in quiet a lot of lost
> functionality.
>
> If a more full featured approach is needed....well. I never worked
> with Apple's JavaClient, though always looked at it with envy :-).
> This seems like a real nice solution. Having something similar in
> Cayenne would be awesome. There are a few choices to make Cayenne
> distributed - at the level of either DataContext, DataDomain, or
> DataNode. My preference would be client-side DataContext with the rest
> of the Cayenne stuff residing on the server.

It would be realy nice if the object graph was accessible from the
client as client-side objects. The client side objects should not have
access to all serverside properties. A commit on the client should
update all properties on the serverside. Perhaps a separate commit on
the serverside to store the changes to the database?

A multiple level commit could also be useful without a rich client.
Like EOF's child editing context.

  - Tore, a dreamer :)