Searching Object Cache

From: Bret Gregory (bret.gregor..ccesspointinc.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 10:22:34 EST

    I know that this topic has been discussed before and I am aware that Cayenne
    is working as intended, but I am trying to figure out a way to look at the
    objects that cayenne has either previously created or fetched before it
    looks at whats in the DB.

    The scenario that I am running into is as follows:

    I am processing a flat file. On each line you have obj1 + obj2. obj1 has a
    to-many relationship to obj2. The key for object 1 is not auto-generated.

    For example:
    Obj1-ABC Obj2-123
    Obj1-ABC Obj2-345
    Obj1-ABC Obj2-678
    Etc.

    For each of these lines I want to fetch Obj1 and/or create it if necessary.

    On each subsequent line I would like the Obj1 that I found/created to be
    returned.

    The problem is that if Obj1 was created and it is in memory then each
    subsequent line will not find it in the DB and thus create a duplicate.
    This obviously causes a problem when you try to insert the data into the DB
    and the primary keys are duplicated.
    I would prefer not to commit after the creation of each new Obj1 since I
    could have 1000s of Obj1's in the FF.

    So I am looking for a work around where this scenario would be supported.
    Thanks!