[Implemented in 1.1] Was: distributed transactions

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 00:39:28 EST

    > http://objectstyle.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=CAY-28
    >
    > It looks like the changes required to fix it (though relatively
    > trivial), require API modifications, and are generally pretty
    > invasive. So I am targeting this for 1.1, not 1.0. Feel free to post
    > comments on the ticket above. Also you can "watch" the issue, i.e.
    > receive updates from JIRA whenever it is updated/fixed. To configure a
    > "watch", you must login to JIRA, go to the link above, and click
    > "Watch It" link on the left.

    [I think we need to move this thread to cayenne-devel at some point ...
    sending last message here]

    Today I implemented public transaction API in Cayenne. It solves 2
    problems:

    1. Fixes cross-db commit/rollback bug that was discussed in this thread
    2. Creates pluggable Transaction API via a delegate, thus allowing
    integration with external transaction mechanisms (e.g. J2EE
    container-provided transactions).

    As I said before, this is all 1.1; integrating it with 1.0 is just too
    painful and is not worth it. All new code is included in the latest
    nightly build:

    http://objectstyle.org/downloads/cayenne/nightly/2003-11-9/cayenne-src
    -1.1-dev-2003-11-10.tar.gz

    I created a documentation page (included in the User Guide bundled with
    the nightly build, chapter 4.9 "Understanding Transactions"). It
    explains how it all works and how to extend it. I am planning to
    implement JTA-aware transactions based on this code, but it is lower
    priority now.

    I would like to hear critique and comments on the design, especially
    from people who have to integrate it with J2EE containers. If anyone
    has a desire to see if this will indeed work with her/his J2EE
    container, I'd love to hear feedback (code contributions would be nice
    too).

    Thanks
    Andrus