Re: Expressions and arbitrary SQL?

From: Jim Menard (jim..o.com)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 14:56:56 EST

    Mike,

    > I do something similar, allowing users to construct SQL statements
    > from a
    > popup list of field names, a popup list of operators, and a value text
    > field
    > on a variety of tables.

    I have to work with free-form text input, so I'd have to build an
    arbitrary parse tree to handle text like

            (fred or jones) and "ralph smith"

    and

            fred or (jones and "ralph smith")

    Actually, I have 80% of that working. I think that's the route I will
    eventually take: create a parse tree and turn that into nested
    expressions.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Menard, jim..o.com, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
    "I used to have a Heisenbergmobile. Every time I looked at the