Strange Update Overwriting with Null

From: Bret Gregory (bret.gregor..ccesspointinc.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 14:40:05 EST

    I have an application that reads in a flat file and fetches/creates and
    updates the DB based on the information it finds. I am seeing strange
    updates statements during commit that are basically overwriting information
    with nulls.

    Basically, the scenario that I am seeing is that one of the objects can have
    2 identifiers in addition to its key. This application only cares about
    ID1. ID2 is set by another process so if it is there, great; if not then
    don't worry about it.

    However, what I am seeing is that during commit, an update statement is
    being generated for most of the objects that sets ID1 to its value and ID2
    to null, effectively overwriting the data that is present. I am a little
    confused on how this could happen since I am not setting ID2 anywhere in the
    application.

    Any thoughts?