Re: New objects break FK constraints

From: Jim Menard (jim..o.com)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 11:41:15 EST

    Andrus,

    > Ordering of operations has been around for a while and proved to be
    > very stable. I am fairly sure there is something with the mapping of
    > the relationship (DB constraints and Cayenne mapping do not match). Is
    > this the case described here:
    > http://objectstyle.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=CAY-41

    No, it's different. The Member table has a FK to BillAccount, but the
    BillAccount does not directly refer to the member at all.

    There is one more class in the mix: Address. Each address has a
    nullable FK back to the member. Maybe that's causing the problem? I
    need to write a simple test case to see what's going on.

    I think I could force the BillAccount to be written first by calling
    context.commitChanges() after creating the bill account but before
    creating the member. (a) I'm not yet sure I can do that and (b) there
    goes any hope of rolling back if anything goes wrong.

    In the mean time, I may have to remove all FK support from my database
    entirely. I'm too close to my delivery date to spend much time with
    this, I'm afraid.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Menard, jim..o.com, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
    "The American legal system is, of course, just the British kernel with a