[ANN] Cayenne 1.1 Alpha Preview 2 (with examples)

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 01:16:32 EST

    Alpha Preview 2 is released - both Cayenne core and Examples package:

    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/

    What's New:

    1. Container-managed Transactions and EJB Support:

    This release introduces support for container-managed transactions
    (configure via Modeler of course) and is the first one that works in
    EJB environment out of the box and without extra tweaking. ...Not that
    I suddenly started advocating using EJB... ;-) Cayenne-Examples package
    contains a simple EJB/Web app project with a SessionBean facade to
    Cayenne. Build scripts targets JBoss environment, but it should be easy
    to port to other containers.

    I am seriously interested in further improving EJB support. So it would
    be nice to get feedback from people who actually work with EJB - do you
    have any specific needs and ideas how to address them with O/R. We
    discussed some of this with Manuel Fehlhammer some time back; looks
    like its a good time to resume this discussion. What I have in mind at
    the moment is to improve support for DataObjects in the DTO quality, so
    the same object could be used on both client and server. E.g. a webapp
    uses Cayenne directly to search for records, but uses a SessionBean to
    update a given selected record.

    2. MS SQL Server Adapter:

    The new adapter is not much different from SybaseAdapter that we
    recommended earlier, but it also tweaks a few things specific to SQL
    Server.

    3. Import DataMap:

    CayenneModeler can now copy external DataMaps to a project. This is a
    small productivity enhancement.

    Enjoy

    Andrus