DataContexts, sessions, and sharing data

From: Jim Menard (jim..o.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 15:29:38 EST

    I think I want all of my user's sessions to share the same data
    context. Here's why; please tell me if I'm wrong:

    I want users to see each other's changes. For example, when a user
    edits something (say, changes a photo's title) I want all other
    logged-in users to see the new title when they next see the photo
    during the same session.

    Another example that's biting me right now: one servlet accepts
    uploaded photos and places each photo in an album. A logged-in user who
    has already seen that album does not see the photo "appear" in the
    album the next time he visits the album in the same session. The photo
    exists; for example the "latest uploaded photo" view displays the
    photo.

    So: do I want all users to use the same data context?

    I know that this could lead to data problems if user A saves something
    then user B saves the same thing with a different value. However, I
    really need each user to see the new photos added to an album.

    Thank you for your comments and help.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Menard, jim..o.com, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
    "The reason why there is no good commercial Java development