Re: DataContexts, sessions, and sharing data

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 16:26:15 EST

    Jim,

    On Feb 11, 2004, at 3:29 PM, Jim Menard wrote:
    > I think I want all of my user's sessions to share the same data
    > context. Here's why; please tell me if I'm wrong:

    No, you likely don't want to use the same DataContext for all sessions.
    You may want other users to see recent *committed* changes, but not the
    work in progress.

    Your best bet is upgrading to Cayenne 1.1 at some point. Its major
    feature is an intelligent cache sharing. This has been discussed on
    this list before (
    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2004/01/0017.html );
    the docs included in the early previews of 1.1 have even more details.

    Of course being an early adopter of the new release, you will be taking
    a certain risk. On the other hand, the good news is that 1.1 cache
    features are a purely configuration setting that doesn't require you to
    change the app code, so you can upgrade later, when it stabilizes.

    Andrus