Re: Recovery from Network error

From: Vassilis Raxenidis (raxe..orthnet.gr)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 03:57:03 EST

    Hi Andrus,

    I think I found a solution.

    I think that the cayenne connection pool does not work in the way we want.
    I think that the cayenne connection pool does not perform any
    reinitialization when a network error
    occures and the pooled connections reamain invalid in the pool.
    What I have done to solve this problem are the foolowing:
    1. Create a db connection pool by using the Jakarta DBCP.
    2. Configure a cayenne data source to use the DBCP pooling driver.
        the configuration for the driver used by cayenne datasource looks like
    this:
        <driver project-version="1.0"
    class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDriver">
             <url value="jdbc:apache:commons:dbcp:/datasourcename"/>
        </driver>
    3. Modified the cayenne DriverDataSourceFactory
    (org.objectstyle.cayenne.conf.DriverDataSourceFactory)
    to return instances of org.objectstyle.cayenne.conn.DriverDataSource based
    on the driver parameters defined above.
    Then the cayenne.xml file looks like that:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <domains project-version="1.0">
    <domain name="Domain1">
     <map name="Map1" location="Map1.map.xml"/>
     <node name="Node1"
       datasource="Node1.driver.xml"
       adapter="org.objectstyle.cayenne.dba.sybase.SybaseAdapter"
       factory="JakartaDBCPDriverDataSourceFactory">
       <map-ref name="Map1"/>
      </node>
    </domain>
    </domains>

    JakartaDBCPDriverDataSourceFactory is a sub-class of
    org.objectstyle.cayenne.conf.DriverDataSourceFactory and the getDataSource
    method is implemented like this:
    public DataSource getDataSource(String arg0, Level arg1) throws Exception {
        load(arg0);
        return new DriverDataSource(getDriverInfo().getJdbcDriver(),
    getDriverInfo().getDataSourceUrl());
    }

    Then cayenne uses the pooled data source defined by the DBCP and every time
    that cayenne needs a connection then it is aqcuired from the DBCP
    pool.
    Of course the DBCP pool is configured to validate every connection before it
    is returned from the pool. Moreover every idle connection in the pool
    is periodocally validated. Every invalid connection is dropped from pool.
    Then while the network is down the pool does not contain any valid
    connection (every connection has been dropped). So, when a connection
    is requested an exception is thrown. As soon as the network is up the pool
    creates new validated connections which can be returned.

    What do you think about this solution? I'm testing it and it seems to work
    properly.

    Regards,

    Vassilis Raxenidis