Re: Dueling Loggers?

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 09:44:38 EST

    Mike Elliott <mr..79.net> wrote:
    > I get the following message when I try to run a simple JUnit which
    > utilizes cayenne:
    >

    > log4j:ERROR A "org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender" object is not assignable
    to a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.
    > log4j:ERROR The class "org.apache.log4j.Appender" was loaded by
    > log4j:ERROR [junit.runner.TestCaseClassLoade..5575e0] whereas object of
    type
    > log4j:ERROR "org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender" was loaded by
    [sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoade..36228].
    > log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "A1".

    There's a very good article that I'm in the process of reading that
    describes classloading and why it's so difficult to configure.

    I recommend reading the first 11 pages (or more if you're using j2ee).

    http://otn.oracle.com/tech/java/oc4j/pdf/ClassLoadingInOC4J_WP.pdf

    As Andrus mentioned, the only solution for this problem is to insure that
    all of your log4j classes get loaded by the same ClassLoader.

    -Mike