Persistance States and the reading of Properties

From: Bret Gregory (bret.gregor..ccesspointinc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 12:12:17 EST

    I am running into an issue when I attempt to read the property of a object
    that is a relationship.
    The relationship hasn't been made yet, but it still returns an object with
    the persistence state of hollow.

    I check to see if that related object is null, it isn't although I thought
    it should be.
    Then I attempt to set properties on the related object. The object is
    attempted to be refetched, it fails because it was never added in the first
    place, and is automatically set to Transient. Then when I attempt to set
    the properties and commit it, which fails.

    There is a note that setting the object to transient doesn't seem right in
    the CayenneDataObject class at line 199-200. I agree that that doesn't seem
    right, but also the fact that reading a property/relationship returning a
    hollow object when the relationship/property doesn't exist doesn't seem
    right either.

    Am I doing something wrong and is there a way around this or a way to tell
    that the property is not really set yet and that I should/could treat it as
    null?