Re: VARCHAR2 and Oracle

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 18:22:37 EDT

    On Apr 10, 2004, at 5:41 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

    > Modeler doesn't seem to want to let me use this type - which is
    > preferred for Oracle these days.
    >
    > Apart from saving the SQL and doing a search and replace, is there a
    > workaround?

    I don't think it matters. Here is a command line session on Oracle 9i
    showing that VARCHAR columns are internally created as VARCHAR2 (so
    VARCHAR seems to be an alias to VARCHAR2):

    Connected to:
    Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
    JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

    SQL> create table a (a varchar(30));

    Table created.

    SQL> desc a
      Name Null? Type
      ----------------------------------------- --------
      A VARCHAR2(30)

    However if you still want to change that, it is quiet easy. Modeler
    types are JDBC types and are not DB specific. It is up to the DbAdapter
    to map a given JDBC type to RDBMS type. This mapping is stored in each
    DbAdapter package directory in a file called "types.xml", so you can
    unpack cayenne.jar, edit "types.xml" for Oracle and jar it again.

    I will probably make a similar change in CVS, however like I said, it
    doesn't make much difference.

    Andrus