Re: Generic Relationship Table

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 14:03:30 EDT

    Scott Ellsworth <scot..lodar.com> wrote:

    > On May 3, 2004, at 10:24 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    >
    > > I guess nobody cared to implement this, since having a separate join
    > > table
    > > for each n:m is arguably cleaner design and makes db data maintenance
    > > easier. But I'd like to hear arguments in favor of such generic join
    > > table
    > > design.

    Not sure if this counts, but I have a ChangeLog table that logs all write
    operations to other database tables.
    One of the fields is "FOREIGN_KEY" (of the changed record) which can be the
    foreign key to any other table in the database.
    I handle it by defining lots of relationships all using this same field.