read-only entities

From: Bryan Lewis (brya..aine.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 09:55:31 EDT

    On Apr 7, 2004, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > The main inefficiency to be solved with "enumerated" or "lookup"
    > tables is ... the fact that these read-only objects that are almost
    > never modified in the DB have to be fetched over and over again. The
    > way I usually handle this is by implementing a class-level cache.
    > In 1.1 we may make this more transparent. Stay tuned.

    I'm about to implement this kind of cache for my lookup tables, but
    thought I might be doing needless work when I saw the "Stay tuned".
    Is something coming in 1.1 to facilitate this?

    Another related question... If I declare an entity to be read-only in the
    modeler, I see that it does make the object read-only since the class
    generator doesn't emit any setter methods. I thought the objects might also
    get cached automatically and would be fetched only once (after seeing the above
    comments). That doesn't seem to be the case, and I need to implement my own
    cache even for R/O objects. True?

    Thanks!