Re: Cayenne and MS Access

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 15:06:32 EDT

    "Glover, Tony (Contractor-ELMCO)" <anthony.e.glove..s.army.mil> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a newbie to this group and am looking for a little help. I have a
    > project in which the data is stored in a Microsoft Access database file.
    > Yes, I know this is not great but they wanted a standalone file that could
    > be delivered with minimal setup required. I have now been tasked to write
    > Java GUI to front the database and was looking at Cayenne to provide my
    > relational to java mapping. Has anyone got Cayenne to work with MS Access.
    > have tried setting it up using the Sun JDBC-ODBC driver class, but I get a
    > message stating the following when I try to reverse engineer the db:
    >
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Optional feature not implemented
    >
    > This sounds like a schema query kind of error and a problem with the MS
    ODBC
    > driver or Access.

    While I've not done it from Cayenne, two or three years ago, I used EOF
    (with WebObjects) to copy all of my data from Access to OpenBase using the
    Sun JDBC-ODBC driver class, so it should be possible. It does require that
    your access database is set up with ODBC access (ie, a Windows platform).

    > If this is not possible, does anyone have another suggestion for a
    > Cayenne/JDBC compliant database that can be embedded and delivered with
    > minimal setup. I have come across hsqldb. Has anyone used that with
    Cayenne?

    Wow. There's a lot of ways you could go with this.

    My preference in this case would be to go with OpenBase using their embedded
    licensing, but I don't know what your financial situation is.

    You can copy the entire database (which works cross-platform: linux, MacOSX,
    Windows) or you can use the import function to load in csv or some other
    format.

    -Mike