Re: Cayenne and MS Access

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 15:13:07 EDT

    Hi Tony,

    Well, HSQLDB is a real DB, it is fully JDBC compliant, and is fully
    tested with Cayenne. So it is a good choice (of course it lacks the
    simplicity of the Access Win API, but then who cares).

    As for Access, I have no experience with that. However in the past I
    played a bit with another Windows database accessed via ODBC - FoxPro
    (even scarier than Access :-)). Not a single schema operation worked
    (so no reverse or forward engineering from Cayenne DataMap). On the
    other hand, if you can put up with creating a DataMap from scratch in
    CayenneModeler, SELECT queries worked fine. My application was
    read-only, so I am not sure if commit works...

    Of course Access uses a different ODBC driver, so things maybe
    different. If anyone has Cayenne (or straight JDBC) experience with
    Access, please speak up.

    Andrus