Re: Cayenne Article on TheServerSide.com

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 19:35:05 EDT

    Hi James,

    On Jun 3, 2004, at 6:02 PM, James Treleaven wrote:

    > Kudos on a very well written article, Andrus and Eric.

    Thanks! It only took us three years to realize that just having a
    product is not enough, you have to speak about it on every corner :-)
    Will do more of this in the future.

    > In the discussion-forum/comments-section at the end Andrus says:
    >> My opinion (actually expressed in the article pretty well) is that
    >> ORM in Java
    > > is quickly reaching a point of becoming a commodity meaning that most
    > > of the first tier tools have all the needed features. So it all comes
    > > down to the flavor... :-)
    >
    > I think this is a sophisticated and insightful comment.
    >
    > I have been having trouble acting as an advocate for Cayenne recently
    > because Hibernate is getting (more?) first class support in these new
    > "microkernels" such as Spring and Hivemind. I have been a bit
    > concerned that Cayenne could get left behind as the various
    > open-source Java frameworks start to grow relationships among one
    > another.

    I hope we won't. But please speak up whenever you have the ideas of how
    to improve Cayenne adoption chances, like the one about the integration
    with "lightweight containers".

    I personally may have a skewed perspective, and would love to have an
    open discussion on the general Cayenne direction. Often when people
    come to me with Cayenne questions, they are already sold on the
    framework benefits. So I hear a lot of new feature suggestions, but
    very little about desired general plan.

    > That said, in the open-source world merit usually gets rewarded ...
    > and if ORM does become a commodity the Cayenne supporters will easily
    > have the time to do the work necessary to provide first class support
    > for Cayenne in Spring/Hivemind/Whatever.

    We may start this discussion now. I haven't tried Howard's Hivemind
    (though I kind of like the name :-)), but I played a lot with Spring,
    mostly in the context of Swing applications, not the web stuff.

    In the simplest case Cayenne Configuration instance can be configured
    as a Spring singleton, and used as a factory for DataContexts. No work
    required on our part.

    Going further... Don't know if it is a good idea though.. Transparently
    binding a DataContext to an HttpSession using Spring instead of Cayenne
    web listeners. How would you do this in Spring anyway?

    And finally, using Spring transaction management. Lots of people seem
    to care about it a lot. I am not one of them since Cayenne transactions
    approach is addressing all my needs as it is. But in any event, this is
    something that will add value.

    Andrus