Re: Cayenne Article on TheServerSide.com

From: James Treleaven (jametre..noreo.on.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 15:44:24 EDT

    Hi Andrus,

    I've added comments below ...

    Andrus Adamchik wrote (in part):
    > We may start this discussion now. I haven't tried Howard's Hivemind
    > (though I kind of like the name :-)), but I played a lot with Spring,
    > mostly in the context of Swing applications, not the web stuff.
    >
    > In the simplest case Cayenne Configuration instance can be configured as
    > a Spring singleton, and used as a factory for DataContexts. No work
    > required on our part.
    >
    > Going further... Don't know if it is a good idea though.. Transparently
    > binding a DataContext to an HttpSession using Spring instead of Cayenne
    > web listeners. How would you do this in Spring anyway?
    >
    > And finally, using Spring transaction management. Lots of people seem to
    > care about it a lot. I am not one of them since Cayenne transactions
    > approach is addressing all my needs as it is. But in any event, this is
    > something that will add value.

    I am happy to hear you are open to integration with these other
    frameworks. Let me take a step back and say that I think it can
    possibly have two benefits:

    (a) If someone comes up with a good "lightweight container" architecture
    it could be very good for the entire open-source-Java community. There
    are all of these packages being written (for logging[Log4j], unit
    testing[JUnit], ORM[Cayenne], web application development[Tapestry]) and
    a standard framework that allows a developer to easily combine and
    configure them might, I think, make the whole "ecosystem" more
    productive and evolve even faster than it is already doing. Or maybe
    not - Spring and Hivemind are still tagged 'research' in my mind. But
    if it does I of course would like Cayenne to be a part of it.

    (b) As you say, it is not enough to build a great ORM tool - people have
    to be convinced to use it. Developers look for recommendations when
    attempting to choose which tool to use. I would say that
    recommendations come in varying weights, e.g.,

    (i) one developer saying 'I like Hibernate'
    (ii) one developer writing a Hibernate tutorial with working example code
    (iii) a project like Spring adding code to their project to support
    Hibernate

    I would say that these 'recommendations' have increasing weight in that
    the later examples both require more effort and more expertise.

    All of this is my long winded way of saying that support for Cayenne in
    other projects such as Spring has potent marketing value. Most of us
    have written code using a library which lost popularity and then became
    a serious maintenance burden for us. Nobody wants to write code based
    on a library that will go extinct.

    Anyway, perhaps implementing the existing roadmap for Cayenne is the
    most immediate concern. After all, maybe these "lightweight containers"
    won't prove to be so valuable after all. And I think I can be a better
    Cayenne constituent: I have had one difficulty with Cayenne with respect
    to the creation of the '<obj-relationship>' and '<db-relationship>'
    entries in my XML files in that I had to build them by hand, I couldn't
    get the modeler to add them for me. If I can figure out how to get the
    modeler to do this for me than I can post enthusiastic messages to
    theserverside.com and other places about Cayenne. So I will try again
    with the latest version of the modeler - and ask for help if I still
    can't figure out how to do it.

    cheers,
    James