Re: Cayenne Article on TheServerSide.com

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 16:28:42 EDT

    On Jun 4, 2004, at 3:44 PM, James Treleaven wrote:
    > I am happy to hear you are open to integration with these other
    > frameworks. Let me take a step back and say that I think it can
    > possibly have two benefits:
    >
    > (a) If someone comes up with a good "lightweight container"
    > architecture it could be very good for the entire open-source-Java
    > community. There are all of these packages being written (for
    > logging[Log4j], unit testing[JUnit], ORM[Cayenne], web application
    > development[Tapestry]) and a standard framework that allows a
    > developer to easily combine and configure them might, I think, make
    > the whole "ecosystem" more productive and evolve even faster than it
    > is already doing. Or maybe not - Spring and Hivemind are still tagged
    > 'research' in my mind. But if it does I of course would like Cayenne
    > to be a part of it.

    This is how I see it too.

    > (iii) a project like Spring adding code to their project to support
    > Hibernate

    I'll talk to Spring developers about Cayenne at some point (unless
    someone starts working on the integration before I do). What's holding
    me now is the need to do more research about the best integration path
    (and the need to work on 1.1 Beta of course).

    > Anyway, perhaps implementing the existing roadmap for Cayenne is the
    > most immediate concern.

    Well, this is the thing... Spring integration is definitely in the
    plan. But I can only do that much work on my own. Past experience shows
    that the most valuable contributions to Cayenne were made by people who
    actually needed a feature X or Y for their own work. This is a classic
    open source scenario. If someone needs Cayenne to work with Spring for
    a concrete project, I am sure this will happen much faster than
    planned.

    > And I think I can be a better Cayenne constituent: I have had one
    > difficulty with Cayenne with respect to the creation of the
    > '<obj-relationship>' and '<db-relationship>' entries in my XML files
    > in that I had to build them by hand, I couldn't get the modeler to add
    > them for me. If I can figure out how to get the modeler to do this
    > for me than I can post enthusiastic messages to theserverside.com and
    > other places about Cayenne. So I will try again with the latest
    > version of the modeler - and ask for help if I still can't figure out
    > how to do it.

    Please do that. Nobody has complained about this particular problem so
    far. And we have a wonderful bugtracker after all :-)

    Andrus