Re: Cayenne Article on TheServerSide.com

From: Marko Kocic (marko.koci..uwanadu.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 02:47:48 EDT

    > On Jun 8, 2004, at 11:40 AM, Marko Kocic wrote:
    >
    > > No, I don't put DataContext in session/visit, I just fetch it for each
    > > service method invocation (see interceptor bellow).
    >
    > This may have undesirable side effects. If you want to work with object
    > relationships, related objects must be registered with the same
    > DataContext. Of course you can fetch all needed objects on every
    > request, but this seems wasteful. The most efficient use of Cayenne in
    > a web app is when a DataContext spans the whole session.

    Thanx for insight. I just wanted to use DataContext the same way I used
    Connection,
    fetch it from DataSource when I need it, use it, and close when I don't need
    it
    anymore.

    Sure I want to use relationships. So you suggest I should have one
    DataContext
    per user for performance reasons? What if I have say 500 logged in users?
    Does
    each DataContext maintain its own object cache, or cache is shared between
    contexts?
    I'm concerned about memory.

    I'm still playing with Cayenne, so IMHO something like "best practices" info
    would be
    great.

    btw [off topic]
    Cayenne is a great framework (at least what I found so far). Modeler is what
    bought me to
    Cayenne :). But it stll has some (non technical) issues where it is far
    behind hibernate. Just
    look at the hibernate site, it's full of examples and tutorials (h +
    spring, h + webwork,
    h + tapestry, h + struts, h + BMP beans, h + jboss...).

    Something like that would be great for Cayenne too.

    > Andrus

    Regards, Marko