Re: Flash & Cayenne

From: Patrick Whalen (patrickwhale..ac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 08:48:12 EDT

    Thanks, Matt & Elia, for your responses.

    Here's where I'm coming from. I've been wanting to create a web based
    application to run my small construction company for some time now.
    Right now I'm using Filemaker, but I really want something with more
    capability, and for it to be web based.

    I've been trying to figure out how to accomplish this in my spare time.
    I played with WebObjects for a while, so I've pretty much decided on
    Cayenne because of its familiarity. (I've played with Modeler, but
    haven't actually deployed anything yet.) So now I need to decide the
    best way to go for the front end. If feasible, I would rather use a
    Flash (or similar) front end over HTML.

    I recently purchased Macromedia Studio MX 2004 Professional. From what
    I've read, it seems as though the version of Flash included might have
    enough capability to act as the front end of a web app. I was hoping
    there was some introductory information for integrating Flash and
    Cayenne somewhere. Just enough to send me in the right direction.

    Elia, you mentioned Director. I looked at Macromedia's web site, and it
    looks interesting. Does it seem like this would be more appropriate for
    what I want to accomplish? Do the capabilities of Director and Flash MX
    2004 Pro overlap, or are they really quite different (from the aspect
    of internet deployment)?

    Thanks for your time and input.

    patrick