Re: DBAdapter for MaxDB

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 12:14:36 EDT

    Hi there,

    On Jun 21, 2004, at 9:20 AM, André Luiz do Nascimento Sousa wrote:
    >         I'm starting a new project and I'm testing some free kinds of
    > RDBMS. I've found the MaxDB 7.5 at the MySQL site. It seems to be very
    > interesting.
    >
    >         I would like to know what would be the most suitable DBAdapter
    > to use with MaxDB. Does anybody already have used it? Some tips or
    > comments?
    >
    >         Thanks in advance.

    I have no experience with MaxDB. I understand this is a re-branded
    version of SAP DB. The best way to see which adapter works better is to
    check out Cayenne from CVS, compile it with Ant and run unit tests
    using MaxDB JDBC driver and switching Cayenne adapters:

    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/developerguide/index.html

    This page provides the information how to configure an adapter for the
    unit tests:

    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/developerguide/unit-tests.html

    You can roughly judge the level of compatibility by the number of test
    failures. Unfortunately there is also a possibility that you'll have
    100% failure rate, as most differences between the RDBMS are in schema
    generation - something that is done before the unit tests can run. If
    this happens please post the description of such problems on
    cayenne-devel list - we may start a MaxDB adapter subproject in a
    "sandbox" module in CVS and try to address whatever issues may arise.

    >         By the way, Cayenne is very good !!! I've tried to start using
    > Hibernate twice ago, but I wasn't so productive as I am with Cayenne
    > now !!! Congratulations !!!

    Thanks for the good word and for sharing the experience. It was kind of
    funny how in a recent discussion on TheServerSide.com some of the
    Hibernate guys dismissed Cayenne tools contrary to any common sense.

    Andrus