Re: Identity Column support?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 20:44:42 EDT

    On Jun 25, 2004, at 5:50 PM, Sat Nashikkar wrote:

    > When would identity column for PK be supported by Cayenne? I have a
    > client with a substantial DB schema already defined in SQLServer, and
    > I want to use Cayenne as the O/R layer.
    >
    > It would be nice to support this since we do not have control over
    > this schema.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Sat Nashikkar

    Hi there,

    Identity columns support is definitely in the plans and is important,
    but unfortunately there is no date set for it yet.

    BTW, I just wrote a small test application to see the level of support
    of identity keys on SQLServer at the JDBC level. MS "official" driver
    failed miserably (java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
    com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerConnection.prepareStatement(Ljava/
    lang/String;I)Ljava/sql/PreparedStatement), while open source jTDS
    worked like a charm, returning the keys.

    So what are your options now:

    1. Wait till sometime in the fall I guess.

    2. Implement it yourself (ideally contributing it back to Cayenne),
    with the help of Cayenne developer community. Please post any related
    questions on cayenne-devel list.

    3. [putting on my "ObjectStyle LLC. does commercial Cayenne support"
    hat :-)] This can be implemented on commercial basis, probably like 3-4
    days of work (and if this is released back to Cayenne, the fee will
    definitely be lower).

    I hope you understand that I am suggesting (3) not cause it is so
    convenient for me to withhold the features and charge for their
    development (quiet the opposite - I want all needed features done
    ASAP), but as an open source project we have limited capacity and are
    pretty busy these days. There has to be an incentive to reprioritize.

    Cheers,
    Andrus