ExtendedTypes (was: adding postgresql data types)

From: Bryan Lewis (brya..aine.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 09:09:20 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > Custom types configuration is done by installing a new
    > org.objectstyle.access.types.ExtendedType in the adapter ExtendedTypeMap.

    Ahh, now I get it. I made an ExtendedType class (OracleBooleanType) to
    work around Oracle 8i's inability to handle Boolean attributes. Cool.

    One thing is still puzzling. I was looking at
    cayenne.access.types.CharType for an example to follow. It has:

         public boolean validateProperty(...) {

             if (!(value instanceof String)) {
                 return true;
             }
         }

    Why is it saying a non-String is okay? Is it depending on some other
    code to catch a bad type?

    Thanks.