Re: Tapestry + relationship-backed form components

From: Robert Zeigler (rdzeigl...arizona.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 16:24:53 EDT

    Eric Schneider wrote:
    > Robert,
    >
    > I've run into similar problems. Andrus and I talked about it, and it
    > something that will probably be handled by Cayenne in future versions.
    > It would be helpful in certain scenarios to set related objects (that
    > are registered) on transient objects (that are not registered yet).
    >
    > Unfortunately, I don't know of an elegant elegant solution. I can think
    > of a couple of approaches, but they both leave open the opportunity for
    > shittiness.
    >
    > If you register the new object before you you get to form page, you can
    > make every action (aside from the form's save) rollback the changes on
    > the data context. This approach works, but falls short when users click
    > the back button off the form page. :-\
    >
    > Another suckie option would be to break your form up into two pages.
    > One to set top level properties on your object. A second to set the
    > relationships once the object is registered. Again, not really ideal.
    >
    > e.

    Well, at least it's good to know that I'm not just missing something
    about cayenne. =)
    As far as solutions, I've done both of what you mentioned, actually. ;)
    I also have properties on most objects that are set in the code and only
    set right before the save, so, for most objects, I can override
    validateForSave, have it check for null for those values, and have the
    object unregister itself from the data context when they aren't set. In
    my current application, most scenarios can be handled this way; are
    there any drawbacks/side effects I should be aware of in doing things
    this way? Thanks for the help!

    Robert