Localizing Attributes?

From: nirvdru..egativetwenty.net
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 14:55:54 EDT

Hi,

I was wondering what solutions people were using for localizing particular
attributes for a given relation. I was hoping Cayenne had some
transparent support for doing so, but I haven't been able to find any.

Thinking out loud, this would add a new option to the ObjectModeler, and
from there you could a) mark an attribute as localizable, b) specify the
default locale and c) indicate which additional locales columns should be
created for (the new columns would take the default name and append the
locale identifier, as Java does with property files).

The generated base classes would then retrieve the value from the correct
column based upon the current locale. It could have an additional method
that takes in a specific locale as well.

The basic idea being that if I have a field named "description", and
provide different values for english, french, and german, I still make the
call to getDescription() (or getDescription(locale)). This way, the
actual column names are mostly transparent.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Is there a way of doing such
already (other than overriding & overloading methods in the child class)?

Thanks,
Kevin