Re: [off topic] XMLGUI

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 17:37:01 EDT

    Hi Jonathan,

    Defining GUI tools strategy historically has been one of the most
    painful topics in Cayenne developer community and for me personally.
    Swing immaturity is one thing to blame. Swing is extremely bloated,
    there is no common or agreed upon pattern to design complex
    applications (I mean one that makes sense). To make Swing at least
    partially usable, everyone around is trying their own little thing [I
    have my own too, check it out :-) ->
    http://objectstyle.org/jstaple/index.html ], so there is no consistency
    and sanity in Swing development.

    As a result, while we still keep our eyes open, we are very
    conservative when it comes to embracing any particular 3rd party GUI
    platform (otherwise we would've switched to Eclipse/SWT long time ago
    :-)). So we go with our own standalone tools for the moment.

    Having said that I personally would love to have a *professional* suite
    for Swing development. The one that works around some decent GUI
    application design model (e.g. JStaple bindings) and integrated with
    Cayenne ORM tools. I am toying with this idea for a number of months
    already, but unfortunately I can't see how such vision can be realized
    on a volunteer basis - this is simply too much work. So I guess I am
    looking for sponsors/investors ;-)

    Andrus