inheritence best-practices question

From: Robert Zeigler (rdzeigl...arizona.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 03:25:17 EDT

    I'm working on a project that requires single-table inheritance right
    now. After reading through the documentation in the user and modeler
    guides, I still have some questions, primarily in regards to modeling
    additional attributes and/or relationships in subclasses.

    The guides use "AbstractPerson, Employee, CustomerContact, and Manager"
    as its basis, so, I'm going to follow that...
    So, for example, Employee might define a field "salary" that wouldn't be
    in AbstractPerson, and also wouldn't be in CustomerContact, Manager
    might define a relationship to a list of supervised employees, and
    CustomerContact might have a fields for "date of last contact" and "next
    follow-up date". What's considered the "best practice" for tacking these
    sorts of fields and/or relationships (but especially fields) onto
    subclasses? Thanks,

    Robert