Re: Ant task for datamap generation

From: Timothy Fisher (trfisherm..ahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 12:23:06 EDT

    Let me explain the scenario in which this would be of value a little better:

    I believe there are many teams who like Cayenne, but do not want to use the Cayenne Modeler UI as their data modeling tool. Instead they may be making changes to a database schema outside of Cayenne through a standard process. Now without this Ant task that I am asking about, in order to update your Cayenne datamap you have to either manually edit the datamap files, or go into the Cayenne Modeler UI and regenerate your datamap from the updated schema. If this datamap generation could be done through an Ant task, this manual step would be eliminated for those who are not using the Cayenne Modeler as their data modeling tool.

    I really strongly beleive that the addition of this one feature would make Cayenne a much more popular tool in corporate environments. Simply because many of these large corporate environment do not want to replace their existing database modeling tools and processes with the Cayenne tool. This Ant task would allow these corporations to fit Cayenne more seamlessly into their processes.

    Tim

    Timothy Fisher <trfisherm..ahoo.com> wrote:
    Has anyone created an Ant task for the generation of the Cayenne datamap?

    I know this question was asked late last year, but at the time there were no implementations.

    I'm surprised there have not been more requests for this. To me this seems like it would be a tremendous value add and very useful for Cayenne.

    The Ant task I am envisioning would allow you to automatically create the datamap at build time from your database schema, much the way the Cayenne modeler generates the datamap through the GUI. This would eliminate the dependence on the GUI for this task.

    Timothy Fisher