How Cayenne works ??

From: lsteele (lsteel..inet.net.au)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 18:58:59 EDT

    This is a bit of a newbie question but I have done lots of reading in
    the docs and cannot really come up with an answer.

    I am currently converting an early development tapestry app over to use
    cayenne and so far I like what I see. Eventually (after submitting it
    as a uni project) I will open the code so it might be useful for others.

    I seem to be having trouble visualising how Cayenne brings back a group
    of objects from a query or how the when it brings back a group of
    objects linkages are maintained between the objects.

    The problem I need to pass an object to the am running into is that the
    contrib:Table. I pass a single object and then assign
    get methods to the coloumns in the table. In SQL I just a create a new
    object and pass this.

    What is the best way to do something like this in Cayenne. ??

    I have used the modeller to set up my objects similarly to the examples
    that I see in the docs .. but this still only brings back the single
    object.

    Is there a way to do a query on an object with links to other objects
    and bring back a collection of single objects that contrains data from
    that query ?

    Are there any more complex examples for doing things like this ?? Has
    anyone seen examples for doing something like this in Tapestry ??

    Thanks,

              Lindsay