Re: Cayenne and Naked Objects

From: Jonathan Carlson (Jonathan.Carlso..atun.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 10:23:23 EDT

    Andrus wrote:
    >I remember back in the day when I was reading my first book on Object

    >Oriented programming, the author was making a parallel between an
    >object in a computer language and a thing in a real world. To me this

    >was the most confusing analogy ever! I simply couldn't comprehend a
    >system consisting exclusively of objects meaningful in a real world.

    I agree. I remember back in '93 trying to make sense of a fruit o-o
    example. I couldn't figure out why someone would create classes with
    names of fruits. I still can't think of a reason to do it that way
    unless you wanted your fruit types hard-coded into your app, which isn't
    usually the best idea anyways.

    The appeal of the naked objects concept is that I see a rather large
    niche of small businesses that would love a custom application that
    meets their particular data needs, but wouldn't even consider paying the
    big bucks it takes to build a custom UI. I think they would trade a
    steeper learning curve for a greatly reduced price tag. After they feel
    comfortable with the data model they still have to option to
    incrementally replace the default UI with a custom UI.

    JStaple sounds interesting. Hopefully the documentation will be good
    enough to pick it up and start using it easily.

    Thanks,
    Jonathan

    >>> Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> 2004-09-09 4:15:15 PM >>>
    I looked at naked objects in the past, though very briefly. And while I

    like the idea of building the GUi with as fewer layers as possible
    between the view and the model, I wasn't exactly psyched about their
    particular flavor of it. I don't know anything at all about the nuances

    of their framework, so I may have misunderstood it, but I still believe

    that GUI exists to provide a user-friendly abstraction of the system
    instead of simply exposing its guts (in fact it should hide as much of

    this as possible).

    I remember back in the day when I was reading my first book on Object
    Oriented programming, the author was making a parallel between an
    object in a computer language and a thing in a real world. To me this
    was the most confusing analogy ever! I simply couldn't comprehend a
    system consisting exclusively of objects meaningful in a real world. An

    Account or Employee has meaning, even DataObject is kind of ok, but
    what is the real-world counterpart of
    org.objectstyle.cayenne.access.jdbc.ChainDirective ;-) Here goes naked

    objects...

    But... Having said that, I really like the frameworks that take some
    metadata and generate UI from it (esp. if they produce the code you can

    later change). One such framework is WebObjects Direct2Web. For those
    who are not familiar with it, it takes an ORM mapping data and
    generates customizable search, display and edit web components. This is

    just awesome! Steve Jobs demoed a similar framework for Mac OS X Cocoa

    during WWDC this year. Both of course internally rely on a binding
    layer, not on exposing an object via some generic UI widgets. There is

    a big difference.

    JStaple is an idea for a foundation of such framework in Swing (making

    generic binding wizards on top of it is supposed top be a snap).

    Also, no matter what I said about naked objects above, I am very
    curious to see what you come up with ;-)

    Andrus

    http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=NakedObjectSeries_5

    > http://www.jroller.com/page/cv/20040211#naked_eclipse_objects
    >
    > I am really intrigued by the possibility of using Cayenne's rich
    > metadata to build a generic UI (probably web-based in my case) that
    > would work for lots of different application domains.
    >
    > I looked into the concept of naked objects last year sometime and
    then
    > forgot about it because the current implementation at
    > http://www.nakedobjects.org seemed rather unintuitive, had no
    security,
    > and seemed to lacked scalability.
    >
    > But recently my company has chosen a new ERP that uses a concept
    > similar to this (using Oracle packages instead of objects and a
    mostly
    > generic Windows UI). I started to realize that this concept really
    > could scale if the framework was coded right and was more intuitive.
    >
    > I'll keep looking into this. Hopefully I can come up with a generic
    > web UI framework for Cayenne data objects that I can open source.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Jonathan

    the system manager.

    Katun Corporation -- Celebrating 25 Years of Service
    www.katun.com