RE: [OT, Mac OS X] CayenneModeler and Java 1.4.2_05 upgrade

From: Gentry, Michael (michael_gentr..anniemae.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 10:29:38 EDT

    I've actually been toying with the idea of making an OS X version of the
    modeler. It bugs me that it doesn't look like an OS X application (even
    though Apple allows for that if you use Swing -- even Eclipse, using
    SWT, looks OS X-like), doesn't have all the features I'd like (I really
    miss being able to drill down through relationships on entities like in
    EOModeler), keyboard shortcuts don't work (as expected --
    command-c/command-v get you nowhere), controls behave differently, etc.
    If I wanted a cluttered-up UI with different looks and feels for every
    application, I'd use Linux + X Windows. No offense. I just don't like
    having to wear a Windows hat on OS X.

    I could use Xcode to create a Java-based Cocoa application, have full
    use of the Application Kit and, of course, Interface Builder, and use
    the Cayenne/Modeler JARs to manage the model, do validation, etc.

    Of course, it would take time (always an issue) and would be OS X
    specific (which seems like a bad thing, unless you are using OS X).

    /dev/mrg