Re: Cayenne x Hibernate x Any other ORM FW

From: Eric Schneider (eri..entralparksoftware.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 17:21:50 EDT

    Here's a msg I posted to the Tapestry mailing list a while back:

    [I wrote:]

    Hi,

    I've been a contributor to the Cayenne project for two years. Until
    my current contract I hadn't used Hibernate before, so I've never been
    able to speak fairly about comparing them. From a 5,000ft view, they
    are very similar. They take database tables and relationships and
    map them to composite Java objects. Once all the gears are setup it's
    smooth sailing. But, when you get down and dirty there are massive
    differences between these frameworks.

    The learning curve for Hibernate is much steeper. Many of the
    developers in the Cayenne community have first tried Hibernate, and
    just gave up because of its complexity.

    Cayenne has GUI modeler tool that is fairly simple to use. It will
    allow you to create db tables, object entities, and reverse engineer a
    database scheme. Hibernate has the equivalent with 3rd party tools
    like middlegen, hbm2java, and xdoclet. There is a little more
    gathering/configuring to get the Hibernate stuff up and running.

    Hibernate seems to be very "transactional", which could be an advantage
    in some cases. I found it to be more of a nuisance in our development.
       Using Hibernate you open a session, create a hql query, execute it,
    and close the session. All prefetching of related objects is the
    developers responsibility. This may not seem like a big deal until you
    started working with it and you get tons of "Hibernate session was
    closed" exceptions when you attempt to fault a relationship. This is
    not an issue with Cayenne because every Cayenne data object has a
    handle to it's DataContext (sort of a Hibernate Session equivalent).

    I think another advantage Cayenne has over Hibernate is it's mailing
    list. People get responses in a timely manner, usually from
    committers. Hibernate has a forum, but it seems to be far less useful.
       I can't blame the Hibernate Team for this. Their community is so
    big, they must be completely frustrated with being beaten over the head
    with the same questions day in and day out. If you don't have thick
    skin, beware. I've seen a few people take a verbal bitch slapping on
    the Hibernate forum.

    Ah....I could go on forever, but I need to get back to my Hibernate
    work! :-)

    Cheers,
    Eric