OT: how do I avoid gotchas with .sql files

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobrya..ac.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 00:16:18 EDT

    I'm using Cayenne with MySQL and, after I set up the database the first
    time, I'm using someone from the list's recommendation to save the SQL
    into a numbered file, modifying it to make it take the database as it
    was and update it to the new version I need. (Changing create table
    commands to alter table, for example, if the table already exists, not
    resetting AUTO_PK_UPDATE for tables that already have entries, etc.)

    Unfortunately, I'm not so good at spotting what I need to change, and I
    often seem to get errors while running the SQL file. Then half the file
    has executed and I'm forced to manually fix up what didn't get done.

    Is there an easy way to protect myself from my stupid screw-ups when
    I'm manually editing the .sql, or must I learn to be more careful.

    TIA,
    Todd