Re: AUTO_INCREMENT pk generation in MySQL

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 12:33:44 EDT

    Hi Robert,

    Customizing adapter for this case makes sense and is actually the way
    to solve you problem. As you may have seen from Cayenne API and
    sources, DbAdapter internally uses a PkGenerator for primary key
    operations. MySQL implementations are "MySQLPkGenerator" and
    "MySQLAdapter". You can subclass them following one of these scenarios:

    1. Create a full custom adapter:
    Subclass both MySQLPkGenerator and MySQLAdapter. See the instructions
    at
    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2004/04/0021.html).
    If you create such adapter, it can be used in the modeler and will
    behave as any other Cayenne adapter in all respects.

    2. Customize PkGenerator in the code:
    Just subclass MySQLPkGenerator. You can keep using MySQLAdapter, but
    somewhere on app startup you will have to set a custom pk generator in
    the code (dataNode.getAdapter().setPkGenerator(mySubclassInstance)).
    This is less work than (1) but is more cludgy.

    Andrus