Re: [ANN] Cayenne RC1 Release - oracle seqs & value too large

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 14:55:08 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > > .... It doesn't appear to pick up existing Oracle sequences.
    > Well, yeah, Cayenne does not reverse engineer sequences.

    I certainly can see why that's not the case, but any possiblity of a future
    methodology where we can give the modeler hints on how to look for a
    possible Oracle Sequence file name pattern? Ie, "look for sequences
    matching SEQ_* where * is the table name"

    Definitely a low-priority item....

    > > I'm also seeing some odd "inserted value is too large for column"
    > > errors, but unfortunately DBUnit is horrible for reporting what data
    > > it's trying to insert, so I don't know for sure it's a porting
    > > problem.
    >
    > Also not sure sure what this is. If you manage to get to the cause,
    > please let me know.

    This is looking like user error. I was using DBUnit to set a "Y"/"N" char
    field to Boolean.FALSE. Openbase didn't care and must have assigned some
    value to it (probably 0 based on past experience) while Oracle just said
    that 'false' doesn't fit in a CHAR(1).

    The tables all see to be correct -- although Cayenne creates NUMBER(38) from
    NUMBER types -- once the TIMESTAMP issue is dealt with. I'll know more if
    all of the unit tests run through.

    -Mike