Re: My Cayenne Modeler new feature wish list

From: James Treleaven (jametre..noreo.on.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 16:32:38 EDT

    Wow - if I had known Andrus would be open to the "visible"/"invisible"
    primary key idea I would have registered it in JIRA long ago.

    I have to work with legacy tables where I need to use meaningful PKs -
    and I have gotten by with
    "getObjectId().getIdSnapshot().get(TEAM_ID_PK_COLUMN)" etc ... but I
    would like the flexibility to Do It Wrong and have non-opaque PKs
    available on some tables some of the time.

    All in all, the ability to short circuit Cayenne's abstractions when
    necessary (as with the Raw-SQL facilities) makes it much easier for me
    to sell Cayenne to my colleagues.

    So in my thinking a "visible PK" setting would mean that the PK would be
    returned as a member in the objects comming back from queries, and it
    would be a valid field to use in qualifier expressions. I would even be
    so bold as to propose that the PK be permitted to be set in
    inserts/updates (if I have asked for the freedom to do things wrong, why
    not go all the way) - but I do not feel strongly about this.

    cheers,
    James