what if my database is somewhere else?

From: Pierce Krouse (pkrous..ustin.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 01:04:47 EDT

    I apologize in advance if this is off-topic or the mark of a newbie, but
    here's my situation:

    I am about to start a project with MySQL as a back end, and currently
    plan to have the database local to the client. In fact I might not even
    have a server, just the app installed on different machines that would
    be connected to the internet. No other assumptions about the user's
    environment should be made, except that it would be a windows environment.

    So far, so good. I understand how I would use Cayenne to persist and
    update the data the user creates. I am considering simplifying things
    for the user by having the database itself installed and running 24/7 on
    another machine on the internet. I plan on using Eclipse's RCP for the
    GUI because it's so much richer than anything I could shove in a
    servlet/jsp anyway. That's why the server side would not be J2EE-based,
    there is no need. Just a database running off-site for security and
    administrative reasons. The database could be running in a simple J2EE
    app if needed, and that would let me use web services to get to the
    database. How would that work from a Cayenne point of view? Is there any
    way to set up a transaction manager that would push the data to
    insert/update on a SOAP connection or something like that? If so, how
    would the web service that receives the data handle it? Just have a JDBC
    connection on the web server end and push the data in that way? Would
    this scale at all, or would I be looking at clustering in the near future?

    --PK