Re: Prefetching and paginated queries

From: Tore Halset (halse..vv.ntnu.no)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 01:44:41 EDT

    On Oct 27, 2004, at 04:23, Derek Rendall wrote:

    > (2) grabbing all the ids for the page and then doing a select on the
    > relationship using an IN qualifier or similar. The problem would be
    > that one would need to be careful to make sure that the number of
    > parameters didnt get too big for databases to handle (e.g. our db2 is
    > set up to have a limit of 250 parameters).

    I found this limit on our MS SQL Server setup last week :) I think
    there was about 2500 parameters in the IN qualifier.. MS SQL Server got
    a out of memory problem. My PostgresSQL setup managed this query, but
    was quite slow at it. I have rewritten that code so that we currently
    does not use the IN qualifyer for more than 500 parameters.

      - Tore.