Re: {Filename?} Memory Leak?

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 16:06:10 EDT

    Justin Deutsch <justin.deutsc..elevance.com.au> wrote:
    > At the moment I seem to have run into a problem where I run out of
    > memory when I'm trying to insert the log files into the database (the
    > files total over 300MB of data). The database, currently has three
    tables:

    > Message - the log message.
    > Log_Level - the level of the message, e.g. warn, info.
    > Host - The host the message was logged on.
    >
    > At the moment I seem to be able to insert about 44000 entries before I
    > run out of memory (Heap size: 64MB). Now I believe that I'm getting rid
    > of all of the instances of Message, LogLevel and Host (the java
    > objects) that I am creating, but I'm not sure, and I was hoping someone
    > could help me out.

    Are you sure you're clearing the data out of the cayenne layer?

    I'd recommend creating a new context between batches.
    Otherwise you'll at minimum end up with Fault representations of each object
    if not the full object.

    A good memory profiling tool should be able to show you exactly what's using
    up all of your memory.

    At one point, I'd have recommended Optimize-It, but it's been serveral years
    since I've used it.

    -Mike